Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Lights

I was driving the other day, trying to get my mind off the stress surrounding me at home. It was finals week in mid December. I was so completely exhausted from trying to get good grades and finish my tests.I was driving around to see Christmas lights in my neighborhood. The first house I saw was so beautifully decorated, there were so many lights and beautiful music playing. I thought to myself wow that family must be really enjoying this season. I figured they were just so happy. Then I saw it, the reality of this family's life. Instead of the joy that normally surrounds Christmas time, they were filled with grief. A husband and wife grieving the loss of their little girl who passed earlier that year. A young man overcome with sadness and loneliness without his sister. A daughter torn apart by the impending divorce of her parents ten year marriage. She had convinced herself long ago that this was all her fault. Never would this family be the same. I drove on I couldn't bear the thought of all this sadness and I had started to tear up. The next house I approached was even more extravagant then the last! Joyous music filled the air, beautiful lights everywhere, and a huge blow up Santa. And then again I saw it, a family of four struggling to make it. The husband has just lost his job and doesn't know how he will provide for his family. They are months behind on their house payments. There are no presents under their tree and little food in their pantry. The tears were falling steady now as I drove home. Then as I approached my house I looked closely at my neighbors. I realized I had forgotten their names. I saw it clear as day an elderly couple more in love then ever before but being torn apart by cancer. The lovely woman has cancer and is losing her fight. Why don't I ever talk to them? Their decorations stood out to me although it was not much. A few strings of lights and a manger scene. I lost it at that point, I was crying so hard I couldn't even manage to pull into my driveway. I had been so focused on my own life that I missed the things going on around me. I missed the opportunities and most of all I was missing the importance of Christmas. But as I stared at that manger and the reality behind it I remembered Jesus' birth.

No comments: